Saturday, January 31, 2015

Text to Speech and Editing

I think the concept of being able to have text read aloud to you as you type or review a paper is really cool! Unfortunately, I was unable to try it out for myself because my version of Microsoft Word on my computer, (I have Windows 8), does not come with this special feature. When I tried to access a web site that had a similar feature, the link was no longer available. The program that was available to download on Blackboard was stopped by the virus protection software on my computer as well. I think that this tool would really come in handy for people with special needs or someone who could not type as fast or as accurately as an average person, (such as a young child or a senior citizen).

As I said above, this feature on Microsoft Word would be a great tool for people with special needs or the elderly to use. It might also be useful for someone who is writing any type of paper or book, because sometimes you need to hear your work read aloud before it is submitted or published so that you know it makes sense. This might be particularly helpful if there is no one around to help you proofread your work with a new, fresh pair of eyes.

The Texthelp website, (http://www.texthelp.com/UK) offers various resources for people who have dyslexia, are learning to read for the first time, or are learning English. One of the products that is available is called the Read & Write software. It is an award winning product that is designed to help people who struggle with reading and writing. This flexible toolbar can be used on any windows or mac computer, ipad or android device, or on Google Chrome. It helps people with reading difficulties such as spelling, comprehension, and research. You can download a free 30 day trial on the website, or purchase the program through a secure PayPal account.

1 comment:

  1. works with windows 8, the issue is do you have Word 2010 or later or 2007 or earlier?

    ReplyDelete