Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Spellchecker

Spelling is an important part of the reading process. If we do not learn how to spell words correctly, we will not be able to fully comprehend the material we read during our lifetimes. When I was in elementary school, I remember having weekly spelling words and tests. On Monday, we always received our list of new words for the week, (there were usually anywhere from 15 to 20 words each week). Every day, we had spelling homework along with homework from our other academic subjects. One night, we would have to write our list of words in ABC order. Another night, we would write sentences using each of the words correctly. We also wrote paragraphs with our words, and looked up the definitions in the dictionary which were then handed in. Fridays were always used for our spelling tests. I always loved this part of language arts, (spelling), because it helped me to recognize new words whenever I read a book. Since I was now familiar with the word, I understood what I was reading better. This new skill has been beneficial throughout my academic career. I was therefore surprised when I learned that teachers are not allowed to teach spelling and grammar anymore in school. When I started my internship as an undergraduate, I was placed in a 4th grade Writing and Science class. These students had trouble spelling even the most basic words, had terrible handwriting, and their grammar and punctuation usage needed a lot of work. They were expected to take the FCAT Writes test in February, and here we were in October trying to understand what they had written. After explaining the problem and gaining support from other teachers, the principal finally allowed us to teach spelling again. The students were able to show some improvement by the time I left in December, and I hope that it made a difference when the the time came to take their writing tests.

Spellchecker strategies are a great way to help anyone who is having trouble spelling a word. As a young student, my teachers would encourage us to sound out the words first, then correct us as needed. Some teachers would tell us to look up the word in the dictionary, which a few people had a hard time with, (how do you know what you are looking for?) As I got older, and began writing more reports on the computer, I paid close attention to my spelling. Even today as I write papers for my college classes, I know that something's not quite right when that little red squiggly line appears! I always try to proofread my papers at least twice before they are submitted for grading. Sometimes, I even ask one of my family members to read through something so that I have a fresh pair of eyes when I work.

As you see from the above paragraph, I think that spelling is very important. Everyone can benefit from learning the correct way to spell words. The English language can be tricky to learn, (especially for people from other countries), and having words that sound the same, but have different meanings and spellings makes things even more difficult. I am a native English speaker, and sometimes, even I have a difficult time spelling certain words!

There has been a lot of research conducted that stresses the importance of teaching our students spelling. Deborah K. Reed, a researcher at the University of Texas at El Paso, created a guide to inform teachers and educators why they should be including this all important subject into their curriculum. She believes that accurate spelling "reflects more advanced linguistic knowledge". It is often difficult for students who struggle with reading to be proficient in spelling. However, research does suggest that even the best readers have trouble spelling words correctly. Reed has also included tips for linking spelling to the Common Core Standards. For more information, visit http://www.readingrockets.org/sites/default/files/Why%20Teach%20Spelling.pdf and read her guide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment